Monday 5 December 2011

A Love of Letters

I live in a world where a Blackberry is thought of as an essential organ and people are completely lost without their iphone (quite literally since they replaced the need for a map) Communication is instant and annoyingly constant, okay it may be vital but is still sadly impersonal.

Gone were the days when one would stand longingly at the window waiting for the post man to bring news from a far or sit hunched over a candle writing tales from their adventures and words of undying, distant loves. I have accepted that I will never experience this romantic 'Pride and Prejudice' styled life when Skype has already taken over from 'courting' but no amount of amazing apps will ever take away from my love of letters.

Since moving away I have been receiving letters from home and replying, regardless of the fact I text constantly, why I hear you ask...because nothing quiet beats opening your mail box and finding a thick envelope containing a hand written letter especially for you. Not a group mail or a fb post but I letter. Letters allow rambling of thoughts and a familiar tone, perhaps even an illustration... (Or is that just me?)

I will never go a day without technology but nor will I ever get bored of reading a letter...with love xx

No comments:

Post a Comment