Saturday 20 October 2012

A day with Louise Gray


In the short time I had in London I was determined to fit in some experience to complete what has been a very interesting summer of placements.

When hearing I would be working with Louise Gray at her catwalk show, I only just managed to remain composed, ok I didn't. I have followed Louise's career closly from the beginning as her work is incredible and she is flying the flag for the Scots in the Industry.

Working for Louise Gray meant spending a day at the Topshop Space. The venue was exactly how I had imagined a show space to look with large white tents containing numerous tall rails, tall models and tall lattes. I was not nervous once I had arrived as there was too much to see from hair and makeup artists working like machines eight to a model and the huge dress bags being arranged by busy interns.

What I was not expecting was how calm it all was. Perhaps Louise and her team were just organised but there was none of the screaming, throwing or swearing- if I am honest this was slightly disappointing.

Louise appeared from behind a rack, running orders in hand and walked straight towards me. You can imagine my astonishment when I smiled and she smiled back before asked me if I would help her with something.
team Louise

 Following her out onto the catwalk I felt as though I was dreaming, as she explained the task to be done I struggled to listen and not think about the fact that LOUISE GRAY was talking to me and calling me hun!

 Some say you should never meet an idol as you will only be disappointed but Louise Gray proved this theory to be wrong as she is one of the nicest people I have ever met, furiously thanking us for our help with organising the catwalk display. Being out front pre show also allowed me to witness the lighting, sound and run through checks. How do these things happen to me?

Louise was so professional and friendly even minutes before the show that she had worked tirelessly on for the past season; I do not think I would be breathing standing in her position with the world press and fashion heavy weights eagerly waiting on the other side of the catwalk.

When the lights went down the action picked up, models ran from rail to stage with one being sliced out of a dress. The team were focused and I appreciated how important it was for team members to be capable and confident during this time.

 The collection was sensational, with 90s mash ups and Barbie influences.

Within minutes the show was over, the appreciation ear shattering and the press furiously flooding back stage for an interview.  It was a great opportunity to experience the planning, organisation and detail that is put into the short show. Within minutes all social media was inundated with pictures, quotes and reviews.  There is a short and intense period of time where the Louise Gray collection is top of fashion then the models grab their suitcases, the press run and editors disappear to the next show, the next big thing and leave Louise and her team to pack up six months of work before celebrating the huge success of the collection.

Heading home happy.
 
Obviously the collection will receive attention for some time but for the design teams it is history, when Monday morning comes around this amazing collection will be old news moving onto the next exciting project that will no doubt continue to capture the hearts of the industry once again.

I felt incredibly lucky to be part of the event, Louise is still part of Topshop’s  Newgen project but when she is a fashion legend, which I know she will be I will look back and remember every second of that day. As a communication student it will be interesting to follow the press and upcoming editorial on the collection and see what garments are picked up and what trends are sustained throughout the season.
Reflecting on my time with Louise Gray I feel I learnt three important lessons; leave your nerves at the door, be proactive in your approach and don’t blink or you will miss it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment