Sunday 21 October 2012

Chasing Purple Hearts- Topshop Film



One of most interesting but challenging modules of this term is Fashion film. I have never done any form of filming before and although I am familiar with a lot of fashion films due to my obsession with Nick Knight and Showstudio, planning and executing one for myself is not so familiar.

Receiving the brief was very exciting. It instructed us to research, pitch and complete a fashion film for Topshop and the design for its full installation in the Oxford Street Store. Choosing the 60s as my initial inspiration I began researching the fashion and culture from this time.

It is important not to lose sight of the market and brand I am working with, full Topshop brand research was key in insuring my pitch was as strong as possible. I chose to base my film around the early modernist culture as there is an existing market for this style at Topshop; the Factory Girl range is very popular and embodies a lot of the influences I want to capture in my film.

This week is the official pitch of the ideas covering the general inspiration, concept, art direction, mood and plan for the film. There is a lot to think about when pitching as it is important to cover all the information without the client getting bored. I always feel comfortable with the initial section of the pitch, what I find scary is the question/ grilling to follow. My tutor will no doubt quiz me in all areas of research and planning and I must be able to provide all this information and seem as though I know what I am talking about.

Crits though scary always help to focus my mind on the areas to work on and the direction I am taking next. Here are the three pitch boards which include the intro, concept and interior. The interior board shows the designs I have done for the layout of the section of the store that will create the right retail space and atmosphere for the film/collection. Brands and stores invest a lot of money and time into their installations as it plays a big part in brand image and marketing. This is definitely an area of fashion communication I am keen to explore further.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment