Wednesday 23 November 2011

A Helping Hand

If I had a regret in life it is that my Papa never lived long enough to see me come to Heriot-Watt, as I know he would have loved to see the work that I have been doing. My papa was a tailor for his whole life and from his workshop he made suits, dresses and kilts not to mention many a coat for my dolls while I was growing up.

Though I do not plan to become a designer during first year we do have the opportunity to learn pattern cutting, sewing and designing. The other day my Nana gave me two of my Papa'a old tools neither of which I understand how to use, but this was not what was important to me, I know my Papa would have been proud to pass them.


We are the people we are today because of the experience we have growing up, perhaps it was while standing watching my Papa attach buttons onto a purple knitted coat for my beloved baby doll Lizzie, when I was 6, that I first became aware of fashion. If he was still here today I would thank him, not just for the tools( that I am sure will come in useful if not just to fend off attackers) but for his time, as like all family they are the people who give us the memory's when we are still too young to make our own.


No comments:

Post a Comment