Thursday 24 November 2011

'Queen' of Fashion

I was informed this morning by my Queen worshipping 15 year old brother that it has been 20 years since Freddie Mercury died.  I was not alive when Queen were at their biggest but it has not made me any less aware of the legend that was Freddie.

Unsurprisingly it was not so much the power ballads that interest me but the costumes and the showman. It is fair to say no one has matched or ever will match Freddie. I find it irritating when my generation fall at the feet of Lady Gaga and the likes worshiping their style, don’t get me wrong I love a bit of Gaga- she is also open about the influence of Freddie on her style- but many don’t know of the originals and the ones who did it all first.

Freddie was known for his fashion, the shows would have not been the same without the leotards, sequin and style. Many do not know but before Queen he ran a clothes stall in Kensington Market selling clothes and art so he understood fashion and its vitality to Queen’s productions. It was the designer Zandra Rhodes that made many of the costumes; she talks of fond memories of fittings with Queen. These costumes are part of a touring exhibition call ‘Storm troopers in Stilettoes’ one I hope to be able to visit in the future. There is a big difference between stage fashion and everyday fashion (something I find X Factor are yet to understand) and if you ever are not sure or need some inspiration look no further than Freddie Mercury.
Both from Google images

No comments:

Post a Comment