Monday 7 November 2011

Un-picking Paid Off!

So this week is very quiet except for university work so I thought I would take the chance to let you see some of the work we have done in our first term.

For our women's wear course we have been working on the theme of Scottish Heritage looking into either artists or royalty. I chose artist and looked at the work of Margaret MacDonald and the work of the other Glasgow Girls. I went to visit both the Mackintosh house and Kelvingrove Art Gallery in Glasgow (one of my favourite places) which are both very much worth a visit and hold work of Margaret MacDonald.

This is the first time I have worked from a design brief to research, create, design, style and market a garment and I loved it! I know I said I was studying Fashion Communication but the way this university works is all fashion first years do a 'cluster year' and study a an introduction to all areas assuring we are all familiar with the often overlapping areas in the industry. The university is very industry focused, one of the reasons I love it here!

After researching my theme I designed 20 shirts before choosing one to create. Learning to pattern cut and sew was really enjoyable, though I must have unpicked every seam four times over to get it perfect! I then styled and photographed it in the style of the high street store of my choice and finally presented in the style of a spread for ID magazine. So here is the final product along with some other fashion photographs taken on campus.
I tried to keep with the simple, clean look of French Connection's styling while also trying to capture the slick fashion look of ID. I feel this setting inforces the Heritage theme and this photograph sells the shirt as it is shows all the detail clearly.

I did like these more 'arty' photographs but I had to remember the aim was to showcase the shirt. I chose the metal fire escape chosing to look at the heritage theme along the lines of the industrial revolution. 

I was really pleased with my final garment as not only was I unfamiliar with sewing machines I have never learned pattern cutting before and a shirt is difficult! I felt this project taught me alot and I now understand the terminology of the designers, something that will be crucial for me working as a communicator in the industry.

No comments:

Post a Comment